Look what has buttons, has been blocked, and is ready for wear! Just in time for 80 degree F temps this week.
Pattern: Modified version of Tempest (My Ravelry project page.)
Started: May 1, 2010
Completed: May 18, 2010
Yarn: The Sanguine Gryphon Bugga! in Ruby-Tailed Wasp and Faithful Beauty
Needles: US 4 and US 6 bamboo circulars and DPNs
Notes: There are extensive notes on my Ravelry project page. Essentially what I wanted was a sweater with the Tempest stripe patterning, but a v-neck collar and knit in one piece. I used about 1.5 skeins (maybe a little more for the MC, Faithful Beauty) of each color. The modifications were pretty simple to make after looking at a few patterns with v-neck shaping and using the knowledge I learned from the sweater class I took with Jared Flood. I’m very please with how this turned out. The first blocking didn’t go good. It stretched out a ton and I was really worried! After a trip through the washer and dryer (on gentle cycle and low heat), it shrank back up to the size it was pre-blocking. It’s soft and comfortable to wear. I definitely need more cardigans like this!
I started the Jali Cardigan in Knit Picks Cotlin last weekend. After getting through the first half of the chart I realized something. The cables were pulling the sweater inwards in a way I wasn’t sure would block out and look okay on the finished sweater.
I figured I need to stop knitting the sweater and knit another swatch using the chart pattern this time.
After I knit, washed and blocked the swatch, I noticed something in the pictures of the pattern. Right near the cable, the stitches are stretched out. If you look at the swatch you can see this there, too. It pulls it in and because cotton and linen (or even the cotton and bamboo blend the pattern calls for) has no stretch to it. I hadn’t thought much about the cables in this yarn until this point, probably because I’ve never knit cables in a non-wool yarn before, so I didn’t think too much about how the yarn and cables would react. I’ve decided that the way the swatch turned out with the stretched stitches near the cable isn’t something I want to see on my finished sweater. I’m glad I noticed this now instead of halfway through the body or something! I’m debating on what to do now. Frog it completely and use the yarn for something else, use a different stitch pattern in place of the cable/lace one, or just knit it with no patterning at all. Anyone have thoughts or suggestions on what to do?
Since I’ve put this aside, I picked Ishbel back up. I like how the Handmadien Sea Silk is knitting up and have been sucked into finishing it before working on something else. I’m enjoying seeing the lace part grow and shape up, but the yarn itself can be a bit difficult to work with since it has no give to it and is a bit sticky if it’s humid or hot while I’m knitting it. I think the finished shawl will be lovely, though!
I’m up to Chart C, but this photo was taken before I’d finished Chart B for the second time and Chart A for the third time (knitting the largest size).
Remember the Labyrinth sock I was working on? I decided to frog it. After getting past the heel and trying it on I decided that the stitches were stretching too much and I should have knit the larger size sock (more stitches around). I may attempt it again down the road using the larger size, but for now, the sock is no more.
I’m still working on Ampersand here and there. No new photos yet, but I’m getting close to starting the cuff of the sock. My Spring Fling Vesper sock in Damsel is on hold. I haven’t started the second sock yet. Thinking I may finish up Ampersand before starting the second one of that pair. I feel like I don’t have many projects going on right now, though I don’t think that’s a bad thing! It’s kind of a nice change. 🙂
One thought on “The Bugga Sweater and Project Updates”
linds it looks great!! i love it!!
i’m about to finish kelmscott this weekend and its going to be 90 some degrees this week. HA!