Last night I had about 5 inches done on the leg of the first Jaywalker sock when I tried it on and realized that it was a bit too tight. I checked my gauge and somehow I was WAY off. I don’t know HOW it happened, but somehow between making a gauge swatch and starting the socks, my gauge went from spot on to no where close. Knowing that I wouldn’t wear the socks if they were too tight and thus would be a waste of beautiful yarn and a lot of work, I ripped back to the ribbing.
I did the ribbing on US 1’s and I do like the way it came out. It’s the first ribbing I really like how it came out, so why rip out a good thing? I kept the ribbing and switched to US 2’s for the rest of the sock. I’m hoping this will make them loose enough, but we’ll see. I’ve already decided I’ll do the ribbing on the second sock on US 1’s as well so that the socks will match.
I went from 5 inches to just over an inch last night. Of course this saddens me, but knowing I wouldn’t be happy with it, I couldn’t make myself keep working on it. It should be a lot speedier on US 2’s anyhow.
You’ll notice that my progress bar off to the right side of the page —>
for my Jawalkers have gone from 15% to 5% today since I ripped out nearly all of my work.
I have decided that I’m going to always have socks on the needles. I don’t know why I didn’t love them the first time I tried my hand at socks, but I love them now! I just want to learn how to do socks on one long circular (even though I do LOVE my DPN’s)…. hopefully I’ll be able to take the class at Yarns Down Under that’s coming up.
On another project note, I’ve begun working on Folly again. I want to have it finished soon, even though the acrylic bothers my hands a bit (not as much as Red Heart, though, since I’m using Caron’s Simply Soft). I would like to give it to my mom for her birthday in April. So far I’ve ripped out the back by 15 inches to correct the decreases I did wrong. I know I could have made it work, but it wasn’t worth all the trouble since I’ve already got one front piece done. After I complete the back (which hopefully I will do tonight), I’ll only have one front piece, two sleeves, the collar, and some flowers to be pined on (I won’t be sewing them on like the photo in case my mom doesn’t like them).
Alright… that’s all for now… back to work I go!